A risk assessment has highlighted the following potential hazards, all members, their guests and non-member fishers should carefully note the following:
- Car Parking: All vehicles are parked on the farm entirely at the owner’s risk.
- Farm Stock / Machinery: It is an operational farm and extreme care should be taken when in close proximity to farm stock / farm machinery, ideally keep well away from both.
- Wading: Wading is not recommended as the river bed is soft and there are hidden underwater obstructions and hazards. If wading is done then it should only be undertaken if a wading belt and buoyancy aid are worn and extreme caution is exercised.
- Power Lines: Do not fish under or near power lines as electricity can arc over considerable distances. Please note both carbon fibre rods and fly lines coated in water are excellent conductors of electricity and potentially lethal.
- Lightning / Thunderstorms: Do not fish during thunderstorms. Place your rod a safe distance away from you. Do not shelter under trees.
- Trees: Avoid sheltering under trees or fishing near trees during high winds / gales. Please do not park your car under trees in windy conditions.
- Decks / Piers: Decks / piers are periodically checked but please make the Club Secretary aware if you discover any deck / pier that might be unsafe.
- Casting: Protective glasses should be worn at all times to protect eyes from hooks. Fishers must cast a safe distance away from other persons.
- Poisonous Plants: Never touch, lick, chew or eat any unidentified plant, berries, fungi or mushrooms. There are numerous poisonous plants and special care must be taken.
- Drowning: It is recommended that a buoyancy aid be worn at all times when near the water.
- Stiles and Fences: Please take care when negotiating styles and climbing fences as they can be slippery. Please be particularly aware of any barbed wire that may be present.
- Electric Fences: On occasions electric fences are in use for the control of animals and these must be negotiated with great care.
- Boats / canoes: No boats / canoes are allowed at any time.
- Sunburn: Suitable protection should be worn at all times, particularly because of the magnifying effect of the reflection of the sun from the water. Hats, sunglasses and appropriate sun lotion should be worn as required.
- Tick-Borne Diseases: These are on the increase and Lyme’s Disease is one. If you are unwell or merely develop a rash you should seek medical advice immediately and tell them of your possible exposure to this risk.
- Weil’s disease: This is a hazard on waterways and can be spread by rodents. If you are feeling unwell and / or develop flu-like symptoms immediately seek medical advice and tell them of your recent exposure to this risk.
- Riverbank and Walkways: Please be aware that the riverbank may be unstable, particularly given that crayfish and water voles are present. Walkways may be slippery and care is required.
- Hazards/Defects: Please report any hazards / defects immediately to the Club Secretary.
- Insects: There are a large number of biting / stinging insects on the riverbank and special care should be taken, particularly if you have any allergies. Appropriate repellents / protection is recommended.
- Swans / geese: There are often breeding pairs of swans / geese on the river and they can be aggressive. They should be given a wide berth.
- Fishing Alone / Late: All fishers should carry a mobile phone with adequate signal for emergencies when fishing alone / fishing late. Please ensure someone such as family, colleagues or friends know of your whereabouts.
- First Aid Kit: A basic first aid kit is available in the hut, please also consider bringing your own first aid kit appropriate to your own / your guest’s needs.
- Hygiene: A dispenser containing hand sanitizer is available in the hut for your use.
- Duty of Care / Medical Conditions: You must advise the Club Secretary if you / your guest has any serious medical condition, physical disability or other such limitations prior to your fishing day. In the event that you / your guest has any health / accessibility issues that cannot be satisfactorily addressed, the decision of the Club Secretary to cancel the day will be final..